Published: July 10, 2019
WHO: More than 1,000 killed in Libya fighting
The World Health Organization says more than 1,000 people have been killed in Libya since April as a result of the battle to control of the capital, Tripoli.
The WHO said on Tuesday that 1,048 people including 106 civilians had died since the fighting began in conflict areas where the organization is providing medical aid.
Libya has been divided since the collapse of the authoritarian government of leader Muammar al-Qadhafi in 2011.
The fighting has intensified since early April when forces led by Khalifa Haftar from the country's east advanced toward Tripoli in the west where the interim government is based.
Earlier this month, 53 people died in the bombing of a detention center in Tripoli for migrants and refugees, mainly from African countries who were trying to reach Europe.
More than 105,000 people have reportedly been displaced by the fighting. The United Nations is calling for an immediate halt to the conflict, but prospects of a ceasefire in and around Tripoli remain unclear. source