UN official condemns attacks on civilians in Libya - The Libyan Report

UN official condemns attacks on civilians in Libya

Source: Xinhua| 2019-10-09 04:06:07|Editor: yan

Video Player Close

TRIPOLI, Oct. 8 (Xinhua) -- Deputy UN Envoy and UN Resident Coordinator and Humanitarian Coordinator in Libya, Yacoub El Hillo, on Tuesday condemned attacks on civilians and civilian infrastructure in Libya.

"Newly arrived El Hillo is reminded of the hundreds of thousands of civilians affected by the armed conflict. The air strikes two days ago that injured several children at the Equestrian Club in the Janzour neighborhood of Tripoli marks one of the lowest points in this conflict. The following day, afield hospital in the Gaser Ben Gasher neighborhood of Tripoli was hit resulting in the death of one doctor and injury of two paramedics," the UN Support Mission in Libya (UNSMIL) said in a statement.

The statement said that 57 attacks on healthcare facilities have taken place this year so far in Libya, which claimed the lives of 13 healthcare workers and injured 47 others.

The UN official warned that attacks on civilians and civilian infrastructure violate international law, urging international parties to spare no effort to protect civilians.

The UN-backed government of Libya has been engaged in a deadly armed conflict since early April in and around Tripoli against the rival eastern-based army, which is trying to take over Tripoli and overthrow the UN-backed government.

Thousands of lives were lost in the fighting and many others were wounded, and also nearly 120,000 people fled their homes away from the violence.

The eastern-based army is allied with the eastern-based government, as the North African country is politically divided between governments in the east and west. source