Temporary Libyan Ceasefire Broken After Mitiga International Airport Missile Attack - The Libyan Report

Temporary Libyan Ceasefire Broken After Mitiga International Airport Missile Attack

The parties involved in the Libyan war agreed to end the war temporarily in Tripoli.

Both sides blame the other.

Airport officials confirmed the news of the missile attack.

The UN-brokered temporary cease-fire in Libya did not last long. The parties involved in the Libyan war agreed to end the war temporarily in the capital of Tripoli. Released news said several rockets have been fired at Mitiga International Airport. The Libyan government’s army, as well as the forces affiliated with General Khalifa Khostar, accused each other of violating the ceasefire. According to officials at the Airport, all flights were canceled but the airport reopened after maintenance and cleaning.

In light of Eid al-Adha holiday and in the light of UN diplomatic efforts, a temporary ceasefire had been agreed to between the parties involved in the Libyan civil war. Airport officials posted pictures of the airport missile attack on social media, including on Facebook.

The suspected attack on Mitiga International Airport

It is not clear which of the forces involved in the Libyan civil war is responsible for the attack on the airport. The airport is controlled by troops belonging to the Libyan central government. Therefore, the Libyan army has blamed the forces affiliated with General Khalifa Belqasim Haftar for the attack and a breach of a temporary ceasefire agreement.

A spokesman for the Libyan government told journalists that forces affiliated with General Haftar attacked a house in a Tripoli district before damaging Mitiga International Airport, killing three people.

A ceasefire agreement

On Saturday, August 10, forces affiliated with General Haftar and the Libyan government agreed to a temporary ceasefire during Eid al-Adha. The Eid al-Adha ceremony began on Sunday, August 11th.

In April this year, militants affiliated with General Haftar launched their offensive to seize Tripoli. According to statistics released by the United Nations, at least one thousand people have been killed in military clashes in the suburbs of Tripoli so far. After the overthrow of Gaddafi, General Khalifa Belqasim Haftar gained control of eastern parts of the country. Khalifa Belqasim Haftar has refused to recognize with the Libyan government.

After the military clashes over control of Tripoli, members of the UN Security Council called for a ceasefire and its observance in North Africa. Following a consultation, the Security Council said that council members were “deeply concerned” by the unstable situation in Tripoli and the deteriorating humanitarian aid delivery to the area.

UN Security Council urged those involved in the internal conflict in Libya to return to the UN-brokered peace talks by stopping military operations. Libya has been in severe crisis since the fall of the former dictator, Muammar Gaddafi, in 2005; The “National Unity” government that dominates Tripoli and limited areas of Libya is recognized by the international community.

The advent of General Haftar’s troops in Tripoli has confronted the war-torn Libyan country with a deeper and more complex crisis than before. Continued fighting in Libya could defeat the UN plan to hold national elections and end the conflict between the two governments in the east and west. source