Sending Peacekeeping Forces to Libya 'Completely Rejected' as Fragile Truce Holds - The Libyan Report

Sending Peacekeeping Forces to Libya 'Completely Rejected' as Fragile Truce Holds

Sending Peacekeeping Forces to Libya ‘Completely Rejected’ as Fragile Truce Holds

Fragile Libya ceasefire holds despite violations. (AFP)

Cairo - Khaled Mahmoud

The fragile ceasefire reached between the Libyan National Army (LNA) and Tripoli-based Government of National Accord continued to hold in Libya despite accusations from both parties of violating it.

The rivals appeared keen on preserving the truce despite the failure of Russian efforts to have LNA commander Khalifa Haftar and GNA chief Fayez al-Sarraj sign a ceasefire deal in Moscow on Monday. The two officials departed the Russian capital on Tuesday where negotiations had been held to sign the agreement.

Meanwhile, a senior LNA official said that the proposal to possibly send an international peacekeeping force to Libya was “completely rejected.”

Speaking to Asharq Al-Awsat on condition of anonymity, he said the LNA will not accept the deployment of United Nations, European Union or international peacekeepers to Libya.

The truce, on the other hand, may be extended until the international Berlin conference on the Libyan crisis is held, he added.

The UN-sponsored meeting is scheduled for Sunday.

The official accused militias loyal to the GNA of violating the ceasefire at several battlefronts in and around Tripoli.

“The LNA, meanwhile, is committed to Haftar’s orders in respecting the truce,” he stressed. “It is awaiting further instructions.”

The LNA’s Tripoli operation command center cited militia violations in the al-Ramla and Salaheddine areas in Tripoli, warning of the collapse of the ceasefire, but adding that it will remain committed to it. source