Nearly 3 dozen Filipinos leave homes in Libya amid hostilities - The Libyan Report

Nearly 3 dozen Filipinos leave homes in Libya amid hostilities

Nearly 3 dozen Filipinos leave homes in Libya amid hostilities 0 SHARES Share it! Share Tweet

By the Philippine News Agency and Agence France-Presse

More than 30 Filipinos have evacuated their homes since fight­ing reached some populated areas of Tripoli last week, the Philippine embassy in Libya reported.

The Department of Foreign Af­fairs (DFA) on Saturday called on Filipinos living near the frontlines “to evacuate their homes or request repatriation.”

Embassy Chargé d’Affaires Elmer Cato said five nurses fled a housing com­pound in Tarik Shuk District after it was struck by an artillery shell on January 8.

On the same day, an artillery shell exploded just behind a clinic in Sala­huddin District where eight nurses, who were rescued by the embassy last week, were working.

Cato reported that a rocket also hit a hospital on January 10 where 31 Fili­pino nurses and their dependents are working. The 31 are safe and none has requested to be repatriated.

At present, there are still around 400 Filipino workers and dependents living in several areas near where the fighting is taking place.

Cato advised them to relocate as soon as possible to avoid becoming collateral damage.

Meanwhile, he assured that the embassy is ready to provide temporary shelter to those who are displaced.

Since the start of the year, the em­bassy has helped 11 Filipinos in getting repatriated.

Ceasefire

BENGHAZI, Libya – Libyan strong­man General Khalifa Haftar on Sat­urday announced a ceasefire in his months-long battle to control the capital Tripoli after calls for a truce from Russia and Turkey.

The North African state has seen an escalation of the turmoil that erupted after a NATO-backed uprising killed dictator Moamer Kadhafi in 2011, with Haftar trying to capture Tripoli from Libya’s UN-recognized government.

Russian President Vladimir Putin and his Turkish counterpart Recep Tayyip Erdogan this week called for a truce in Libya starting Sunday from midnight, but Haftar had initially vowed to fight on.

Haftar’s forces on Saturday agreed to the ceasefire from midnight on Sunday (2200 GMT), but warned of a “severe” response to any violation by the “opposing camp,” a reference to the Tripoli-based Government of National Accord (GNA) led by Fayez al-Sarraj.

Before Haftar’s statement, Putin and German Chancellor Angela Merkel met earlier on Saturday in Moscow and called for international efforts to address the crisis in Libya.

Germany and Russia are both act­ing as mediators in a conflict Berlin has warned could become a “second Syria” and the topic topped the agenda as they met for talks at the Kremlin.

“I am really counting on the oppos­ing sides in Libya ceasing fire, ceasing armed combat… within a few hours,” Putin said. “It’s important to bring an end to the armed confrontation.” source