Published: August 15, 2019
Libya: Salame Urges Permanent Ceasefire in Tripoli, LNA Warns Misrata
News Arab World Libya: Salame Urges Permanent Ceasefire in Tripoli, LNA Warns Misrata A
UN Envoy to Libya Ghassan Salame (File Photo: Reuters)
Cairo- Khalid Mahmoud
The United Nations Support Mission in Libya (UNSMIL) was ready to immediately use its good offices to transform what was accomplished in the period of truce into a “permanent ceasefire,” announced UN Special Representative in Libya (SRSG) Ghassan Salame.
UNSMIL welcomes the international community’s declarations of support for the truce and renews Salame’s proposal to convene a meeting of concerned countries.
The statement noted that nations “should work towards providing guarantees for a permanent ceasefire, a call for upholding the arms embargo, and a commitment to return in good faith to a UN-sponsored comprehensive political process to end the Libyan conflict.”
The mission offered its continued assistance to facilitate the exchange of prisoners, adding that it is prepared to name a focal point, and suggest a mechanism for these exchanges in cooperation with the parties and relevant local social leaders.
The truce was not respected in Murzuq, argued the statement, noting that “communal violence between the Tebu and al-Ahali communities continued, killing seven individuals and wounding 54 others.”
“As of 12 August, the ongoing acts of violence displaced approximately 5,000 individuals to Wadi Ettebah and around 200 to al-Gatroun area.”
UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres declared that an “internal investigation” will be conducted to establish the circumstances of the attack waged on, Benghazi, which killed two United Nations and wounded many others.
During a statement, a spokesperson for the United Nations Secretary-General, Stephane Dujarric, quoted Guterres as saying: “We are not aware of any party assuming responsibility for the car bombing.”
Meanwhile, Libyan National Army (LNA) announced for the second consecutive day airstrikes on Fayez al-Sarraj militias in Tripoli and the coastal city of Sirte.
Media center of the al-Karama Operations Room, of LNA, announced that the army had taken control of new areas and locations in the western region, which includes Tripoli, but said it would “disclose further information later.”
LNA warned Misrata against fighting alongside forces of Government of National Accord (GNA), headed by Sarraj. It cautioned that the situation in the city is going downhill fast, pointing that Misrata residents refuse the recruitment of children in battles.
Local media, loyal to GNA, quoted a source close to the matter as saying that the International Committee of Red Crescent (ICRC) received 12 bodies of people who had been captured by the army in the city of Tarhunah.
“Volcano of Rage” Operation, launched by Sarraj militia, published photographs of the bodies it said from inside al-Zawiyah University Hospital. The bodies are said to be of members of the Ninth Brigade of Tarhunah. source