Libya government says it accepts UN-proposed truce in Tripoli - The Libyan Report

Libya government says it accepts UN-proposed truce in Tripoli

The attack took place amid the UN-brokered Eid al-Adha ceasefire, which was accepted both by the Libyan National Army (LNA), led by Field Marshal Khalifa Haftar, and the Government of National Accord (GNA).

The warring sides, meanwhile, said they accepted a multi-day truce for the Eid holiday, which begins Sunday.

A auto bomb explosion in the eastern Libyan city of Benghazi killed three U.N. staff members and two other mission members on Saturday, the United Nations said.The attack came as the United Nations was brokering a truce in the capital Tripoli, where the eastern-based Libyan National Army (LNA) force launched a surprise attack in April, part of the chaos in Libya since the toppling of Muammar Gaddafi in 2011.

Haftar's spokesman Ahmad al-Mesmari announced "a halt to all military operations.in the suburbs of Tripoli".

The global agency had called on both sides to commit to a humanitarian truce by midnight on Friday.

It also said the truce must include "a ban on flights and reconnaissance overflights" across the country's entire airspace.

Earlier reports from Libya said that two employees of the United Nations mission had been killed.

The ceasefire was "out of respect for this occasion's place in our spirits.so that Libyan citizens can celebrate this Eid in peace", he said.

U.N. Secretary-General Antonio Guterres on Saturday condemned the attack, a spokesman said in a statement.

He also urged all parties to "respect the humanitarian truce. and return to the negotiating table". Two of the dead hailed from Libya and Fuji, and the blast wounded nine people, according to health officials who spoke on condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to brief reporters.

Footage circulated online shows what appears to be burnt United Nations -owned vehicles as thick smoke bellows into the sky.

The security and political situation in Libya has been unstable since the 2011 revolution, as the country is still divided between two rival authorities: the LNA-backed parliament rules over eastern Libya, while the UN-supported GNA controls the other part of the country.

It "serves as another strong reminder of the urgent need for Libyans to stop fighting, set aside their differences and work together through dialogue and not violence to end the conflict", he said in a statement.

The UN special envoy for Libya, Ghassan Salame, condemned what he called a "cowardly attack".

No group immediately claimed responsibility for the attack, which came just a month after two bomb-laden vehicles went off in Benghazi, the stronghold for the self-styled Libyan National Army.

One attack on the USA consulate on September 11, 2012, killed U.S. ambassador Christopher Stevens and three other Americans. source