Published: August 13, 2019
Get the biggest daily stories by email Subscribe Thank you for subscribing We have more newsletters Show me See our privacy notice Could not subscribe, try again later Invalid Email
The brother of Arena bomber Salman Abedi is currently in Greater Manchester, the M.E.N. has learned, being questioned under counter-terror laws about his alleged role in the atrocity.
Greater Manchester Police have 48 hours to question Hashem Abedi over the deaths of the 22 people killed in 2017’s attack, before he is returned to custody in London to await trial.
The younger brother of Salman Abedi was successfully extradited from Libya in July.
On being flown back into this country on July 17 he was immediately arrested, before appearing before Westminster magistrates court the following day to be charged with 22 counts of murder, one count of attempted murder and one count of conspiracy to cause an explosion.
In a 12-minute hearing the court was told he intends to ‘clear his name’, before he was taken back into custody.
On July 30, at a pre-trial hearing held at Oxford Crown Court, he appeared via video link from Belmarsh prison in London as a trial date was set for later this year.
At the same hearing Greater Manchester Police were granted a rare application to be allowed to interview him even though charges had already been brought.
It is understood that questioning is now taking place, with counter-terror officers here having 48 hours under the law in which to do so.
Hashem Abedi, 22, originally from Fallowfield but of Libyan heritage, will then be returned to custody in London.
A GMP spokesperson said: “As previously reported in the media, the investigation team have been granted an application under section 22 of the Counter-Terrorism Act 2008, which will allow them to interview Hashem Abedi in relation to the Manchester Arena attack.
“Due to operational security, we are unable to provide any further information as to when or where this will take place.”
Salman Abedi killed himself when he detonated a bomb in his backpack in the foyer of Manchester Arena on May 22, 2017, killing 22 people and injuring hundreds of others.
His brother Hashem was arrested by the Special Deterrent Force in Libya the following day and extradited back to the UK last month.
At his first court appearance his QC said he would plead not guilty to all charges.
Abedi will stand trial at the Old Bailey on November 5. source