Published: August 11, 2019
2 UN Staff Killed in Blast in Libya’s Benghazi
People gather at the site where a car bomb exploded in Benghazi, Libya August 10, 2019. (Reuters)
Two United Nations staff were killed on Saturday in a car explosion in the eastern Libyan city of Benghazi, several medical sources and the Libyan National Army said.
A Reuters reporter at a Benghazi hospital where casualties of the blast were taken saw a list of names of those killed identifying them as part of the United Nations Libya mission (UNSMIL).
There was no immediate claim of responsibility for the blast, which happened as a UN convoy was passing through the area.
LNA spokesman Ahmed Mismari told reporters the two people killed were UNSMIL guards. He added that ten people had been wounded, among them children.
UNSMIL spokesman Jean El Alam said via email that the organization was “in the process of gathering information”.
The explosion happened in front of a shopping mall and bank. At least one burned out UN car could be seen at the scene.